Thursday, June 16, 2011

Beetlejuice, Beetlej- Oh, screw it. I'll Say it at Least 3 Times in the Review

 Speaking of great directors creating great atmosphere, we watched Tim Burton’s Beetlejuice over the course of the... well... course. If you’ve seen a Burton film, then you know his style: dark and quirky. He even manages to make Pee Wee a bit of a creepy concept (other than the whole public masturbation thing, I mean). Masturbation joke aside, Beetlejuice is a great movie that I enjoyed as a child. After re-watching, however, I thought “What were my parents thinking when they let me watch this?!?!” This movie is creepy, but, like a lot of Burton’s other films, manages to be simultaneously light-hearted. I seriously don’t know how he does it! I mean, it’s a story about a young couple who die a tragic death, and haunt a family with the help of a demon. How this plot is made into a comedy about finding yourself is beyond me.

I smell sitcom!

 I think my favourite part about this movie, and Burton in general, is the quirkiness. All of his characters are basically outcasts looking for a place to belong. Maybe this just speaks to me personally (a friend of mine actually calls me "Zach Skellington"), but it seems to work for Burton all of the time. Call them cheesy, but I love the effects, too. Beetlejuice’s crazy arms, turning the handrail into a snake, the lame floating/dancing scene at the end of the movie are all great and kind of capture the lightheartedness of it all. I wouldn’t say that this is Tim Burton’s best film, and it probably wouldn’t even be in my top 5, but it’s still a good movie, and Burton is a good director. What more can I say? The great thing is that I don’t have to say a whole lot. This assignment is a mini-review.
END

PS: 3 times, see?

No comments:

Post a Comment